1. Victor is ruined when Walton rescues him, but he came from a wealthy family. This shows
- the Gothic idea of the sublime.
- the Gothic idea of decay.
- the Romantic idea of strong emotional impulses.
- the Romantic idea of individuality.
2. How is Victor related to Elizabeth?
- Elizabeth is Victor’s father’s sister.
- Victor and Elizabeth have the same dad, but different moms.
- Victor’s dad married Elizabeth’s mom.
- Elizabeth is Victor’s cousin, but his dad adopted her.
3. “I was more calm and philosophical than [Elizabeth]; yet my temper was not so yielding” shows
- that Victor is self-absorbed.
- that Elizabeth is docile and obedient.
- an Enlightenment ideal of masculinity.
- that Victor studies philosophy.
4. Victor’s departure for Ingolstadt gets delayed when
- Elizabeth and Caroline get sick and Caroline dies.
- Elizabeth and Caroline get sick and Elizabeth dies.
- Elizabeth and Caroline get sick.
- A lightning storm destroys a tree and blocks the road.
5. At Ingolstadt, Victor is inspired to learn more about science after
- attending Waldman’s lecture.
- speaking privately with Waldman.
- reading the works of Albertus Magnus and Paracelsus.
- speaking privately with Krempe.